The Topkapı Palace served as the main residence and administrative headquarters of the Ottoman sultans. Construction began in 1459 six years after the conquest of Constantinople by Mehmed, the Conqueror. Topkapı was originally called the "New Palace" . It received the name Topkapı, meaning Cannon Gate, in the 19th century. Major renovations were done after the 1509 earthquake and the 1665 fire. The palace complex consists of four main courtyards and many smaller buildings. Female members of the Sultan's family lived in the harem and leading state officials, including the Grand Vizier held meetings in the Imperial Council building.